Saturday, July 07, 2007

mostly painting and a sick eggplant

peppermint stick zinniaToday I set my alarm for 8, even though I was off because I had a lot I wanted to do. First up, I watered the plants and when doing that, I discovered that my eggplant has taken a terrible turn. Earlier this week I had noticed what looked like a bug infestation and sprayed it with a homemade mixture of soap, oil, baking soda and water that I had previously used on my mallow. Today a bunch of the leaves have yellowed, some have fallen off and others have gotten dried out around the edge. I am afraid that it now has a disease on top of the insect problem. On the plus side, the insect problem seems to have gone away?? I posted photos and my troubles on the You Grow Girl forum hoping someone might have a suggestion, but so far no one has, but I'm hoping. Other than that, the plants look about the same. I have a yellow bell pepper that I think is getting close to being ripe. I'm trying to check it each day.

three coneflowersI put the coleus I had potted up on Thursday night outside to live in the big world. I then potted up the two fishnet stockings that had rooted and also finally my little baby hydrangea cutting that has please me so by rooting. So far so good for the baby hydrangea, who is still indoors. I will keep him indoors for a least a week I think to make sure he is doing okay, then start getting him used to the outdoors. I am still trying to root the piece of Joe Pye weed my dogs broke off the main plant. I think it is thinking about rooting. Time will tell.

My doctor prescribed a course of prednisone for me due to all my mosquito bit allergy problems. I started that today and am trying to stay out of the yard for a few days to try and prevent any more bites. I did take a few pretty pictures today and later in the day got 5 of my daylily photos printed up as 8 X 10 at Walgreens. I am planning on looking for (cheap I hope) frames tomorrow and then hanging them on the wall probably in the living room.

Most of today was spent painting. I got almost all the crown moulding in my room painted, except for a small part I'll need to move the computer desk to reach. I also got the wall color touched up in the bathroom and the laundry room. I took down the crooked shade and spackled in the holes. I'm going to redrill the holes in the correct place tomorrow, then repaint the top part of the window frame and probably rehang the shade on Monday. I have some other touch up work I want to do with the brown paint on a few window frames, hopefully I can get to that tomorrow.

We went to Home Depot today and they had some really nice looking house numbers. They were about $6/number instead of the $12/number of the ones I had found online. So, bought the house numbers and also some white outdoor paint to paint the column under where the old numbers were, as that area was not painted at all when the repainted the columns! I got the old numbers pried off and repainted that one part of the column (will probably need to repaint the entire thing at a later date) . Tomorrow I will try to actually get the numbers mounted.

right window- midpoint 7/7/07Spent a decent amount of time today scraping paint off the glass on the front windows. When we had originally looked at the house, the mullions on the front windows were painted black. Sometime before we bought the house, the painted over them with sticky white paint. One of my early projects on the house was trying to strip all the paint off of one of the windows. This turned out to be a lot more difficult and time consuming than I expected and I never got around to removing the paint that had pretty much been slopped all over the glass. Then, it got cold and we didn't want to work outside, then it was spring and there was so much to do in the yard and so on. So, today I finally got almost all the slopped on paint off the window. Before they painted, they had also used some sort of clear silicone let's hope it was meant to be caulk on the windows. This too got all over the place. So, removing this mess from the windows was part stripping, part cutting off this silicone. It took a few hours, but I think both windows look a lot better now. I had originally wanted to paint the mullions a dark green on all the windows. Now I am trying to decide if I just want to paint them green, repaint the black (matches the shutters) or just repaint the one and leave the others white. Decisions, decisions...

No comments: