Sunday, November 25, 2007

yew is dead

The House- 11/25/07

I took the yew I had dug up in to Underwoods today and it is dead. Since I've had it for more than 6 months, there is no money back. It looks like it is another victim of the late frost. They will have another big 30% off sale around the first of the year and I'll buy a replacement then unless I can find one cheaper at another nursery. So sad. The thinking is that it too was a victim of the Easter Freeze as there was no other obvious causes of death.

It was too cold again today to paint the water heater hut. I did get out and water a few containers in the AM, dumped a few more summer things and used the pressure washer nozzle to clean out my ceramic and terra cotta containers. This afternoon, we took all of them over to storage. My yard is a lot neater now, but I am wishing more than ever that the shack was functional. Maybe later...

I did plant the lantana from the hanging basket, basically throwing it into the ground and the front of the left hand side of the perennial bed. I then dug down a little hole and put the unplanted butterfly bush, pot and all, in that hole. Over in the shade border, I dug three holes for the three hydrangeas in 1 gallon containers that have been sitting there. Penny Mac, Marchal Foch and my propogated Endless Summer are now all sunk into the ground for the winter. I also moved the two potted hostas way back along the fence line. I am going to do some more raking in a few days, then pile some leaves in this area.

We went to Country Boys and got my Christmas presant, a wine and silver blue garden angel. I totally couldn't afford it, but I couldn't pass it up either. I also got a few other plants to add to some containers before my presentation at work on Wednesday. I also took some pictures this afternoon and I hope that some of them will work. I am hoping for a slow day at work to work on the powerpoint presentation I said I'd make. Wish I had the program on my home computer.

This evening, as it was getting dark, I moved the English Thyme I had divided into the whiskey barrel, stuck a new spruge I bought today in the center of the barrel and stuck the sage that had been growing in a small plastic pot on the back side of my whiskey barrel. I plan on sticking in a few pansies and then it should be ready for winter.

No comments: