Thursday, November 15, 2007

bathroom floor fixed

Neil came today and fixed the bathroom floor. The wood was totally rotted through, so it is good we didn't wait any longer. Only at a small section right under the toilet needed to be replaced and he checked everything from under the house to make sure that the beams and other wood was okay. Perhaps the most exciting thing was that he found duct work to the bathroom duct, that had just come undone and was able to refasten it, so we now have a heated bathroom, rather than just relying on the space heater! Progress!

The bathroom floor is still a work in progress. Since the thickness of wood has changed over the years, there is about a 1/8" difference in height between the existing floor and the new floor. The 3/4" treated plywood was not thick enough, so there is a sheet of thinner, non-treated plywood as the top layer. Hopefully that will be okay. The original floor wasn't treated wood, and it was fine until the toilet started leaking. I do need to ask at a tile store and find out what to do about the slight difference in height between the two parts of the floor. I am also going to go try to find the hex tiles I want tomorrow. Right now the toilet is sitting on a little piece of plywood that is higher than the surrounding floor. The current plan is that after Thanksgiving, Neil will come back and lift up the toilet so my mom and I can tile the floor and while we are tiling, he will do some electrical work, trying to hang the living room light, investigating the mystery box under the house and seeing about trying to add an ourdoor outlet.

I am thinking more and more about just trying to insulate the house myself. Maybe Bobbie would want to come and help feed the insulation into the hopper. I just don't feel like I'll even get all the money I'd need to have it done saved up, something else always seems to come up.

Meanwhile, on other fronts, I had taken the tarp of the water heater hut earlier this week to let it dry. I noticed yesterday that it was dry, but I didn't have time to paint it before work as I had other things I had to do yesterday morning. Overnight we got 1/2" of rain and, of course, the tarp was off the hut. We don't have any more rain forcast, so I am hoping it dries out in time for the Thanksgiving holiday and I can paint it then when I'm off work.

No comments: