Wednesday, November 07, 2007

hard freeze

Last night we had temps in the low 30s, though no frost, but that was that for my summer plants. I spent part of the morning cutting down dead plants and either tossing the potting soil if there were too many roots or dumping it out to use a mulch. I still have some work left to go on the herb garden and some more pots that I need to toss the soil from. I filled up my garbage can and tomorrow is trash day, so I'll start in again working on that tomorrow afternoon.

Some sunny, warm day in the future, I'll have to work on actually washing out all the pots. I also need to take all my stakes down to the tool shed, as I won't need them again until spring.

I still have a few more pansies and the cabbages to put in pots and now I have lots of empty pots. I'm planning on only using the plastic pots this winter. The terra cotta will be stored until summer. I'm looking for pot feet to put under some of my pots that will be used all winter. I've found a few on ebay, but as they are clay, the shipping is kind of expensive. I know I had seen some earlier this year at Home Depot or Lowes and I've got to go back and see if I can find them again.

No comments: