Saturday, November 10, 2007

planted Debutante and Autumn Belle

I finally got my Debutante camellia planted today, in place of the one that got killed by the frost earlier this year. It may be a tad close to my two Miss Biloxis, they are 4 1/2' away, but I think it will look good. This one is a 3 gallon plant, so hopefully it will thrive. I dug out a large area for the planting, and dug down just a little bit in an even larger area to try to get rid of some of the surface roots. The trees in my neighbor's yard seen to send out TONS of surface roots. Not sure what they are but I hope they aren't River Birches. Hopefully my camellia bed is not doomed due to root competition.

Debutante camellia

I also got the Autumn Belle azalea planted, using the left over dirt it had been sitting on and some left over dirt from the planted Debutante. I still have a bit of nicely ammended leftover dirt, so I put it in one of the grey boxes to use when I start planting the other Encore azaleas I have. I don't have a clue where I am going to go with them, so they will have to wait a bit before I plant them. Belle turned out to be a bit drier than I thought she was, so I might set each of the others in some water for a little bit, as I am now thinking they might be a bit on the dry side as well.

I am impressed with the Autumm Amethyst that I planted earlier this year. She has quite a few blooms now, and these azaleas are great as they are the only thing in bloom in my yard right now, other than a few aging hydrangea blooms and pansies.

I am thinking about looking for a winter daphne, since I have several really nice big fiberglass pots now. I do remember them being pretty expensive last year though, so maybe I'll wait until Underwoods has another sale.

I think tomorrow will be another yard clean-up day, since I am done with most of the planting for right now. I bought 2 little cement pavers at Lowes today to try putting under some of my big pots for the winter as a sort of version of pot feet (which turn out to be unexpectedly expensive). I think they worked pretty well, so I may get some more. I thought I might be able to get away with them not being visable at all, but that is not going to happen. But, since most of my pots are behind other things, I still think they will work well, at $.59 each, they are a lot cheaper than pot feet!

No comments: