Tuesday, April 01, 2008

rain and tomato sprouts

Between this weekend and today, we have gotten 1" of rain. Plants are continuing to leaf out in the yard. The Flying Dragon is currently blooming, don't remember if it bloomed or not last year, might not have as this is right around the time I put it in the ground last year. All three beautyberries are leafing out, with the Japanese beautyberry the furthest along.

'Early Girl' and 'Husky Cherry Red' are growing along and Husky even has a few flowers. Maybe I will get tomatoes by June. I will need to repot Husky, as I had intially thought it was a small determinate plant, but as it can go all summer, it will need a bigger pot.

Yesterday I saw tomato sprouts for the first time from the seeds I sowed last week. Currently I have 1 cup with two sprouts and 2 cups with one sprout, still waiting on one of the 'Ponderossas' to sprout. I have moved the others as close to the flourescent lights in the kitchen as I can. Not great, but once they are a bit bigger I plant to move them outside. I still need to start some of the 'Black Pineapple'.

Tomorrow I work nights, so I am hoping I can get some yard work done. I need to get over to storage and get the big fiberglass pots I bought last year, as I want to plant one of the new hydrangeas in it.

No comments: