Friday, March 28, 2008

cut back lirope and more weeding

Today I just did a bit more weeding and looked over the yard again. Most of the hydrangeas seem to be doing okay after the freeze, but I am still worried about 'Gentian Dome' and 'Masja' as they had the smallest amount of green showing and suffered the most damage. I also looked at 'Glowing Embers' today and thought it's pot looked really wet. Sure enough, when I tipped it, I was able to pour out water. I elevated it on two brinks and TONS of water ran out. Somehow the drainage hole in the bottom of the pot had gotten clogged. I am hoping that it has only been sitting in water since last night and that I will have gotten it drained out quickly enough that it will not have done any damage to the roots.

Yesterday I cut back the lirope in the front yard. The old foliage was starting to look pretty yellow and the new foliage is really starting to grown. This AM when I was leaving for work, I glanced at the foundation bed and couldn't figure out what was going on. It looked like bulbs were coming up or something and momentarily it was a total mystery. Then I remembered cutting back the lirope.

I will be out of town for the weekend and the forcast calls for rain and cooler weather for the weekend. I hope we get a decent amount of rain as the yard is SO dry. I watered yesterday and parts look dry again. I am figuring the combination of wind and sudden high temps are what is causing all the dryness as it never seemed this dry over the winter.

This weekend the Lily Lady opens up for the year. I will try to get out there next weekend. I'm also hoping that by next weekend the Farmer's Market and Country Boys will have their veggies in. I am looking forward to seeing what tomatoes they have this year. I'm definitely getting a 'Roma' and a 'Tumbling Tom' and if I see any white or black/purples I will have to try one of those. No sprouts yet on the tomato seeds I planted. I am currently thinking I will grow a red bell pepper, jalapenos and the Thai hot peppers again this year. I also want to see what varities of eggplants they have. I remember seeing 'Ichiban' last year and I'll try that this year. After the very small yield last year, I'm looking at something other than 'Black Beauty'.

1 comment:

Amy Urquhart said...

Your idea about propping up a pot to allow the water to run through is gardening genius! Thanks for sharing your tip.

Playing in the Dirt