Friday, April 11, 2008

rain this evening

The weather report had promised rain today, but it didn't arrive until almost 10 PM today. I had toyed with the idea of watering yesterday, but the yard still seemed okay and I figured I'd have a day of rain. Well, no rain during the day, but it was pretty hot, so things were dry when I got home. Still, as it felt like rain, I decided not to water. Did pull some more chickweed.

newly planted porch potsThe REALLY BAD NEWS is that we are looking at low temps in the 30s on Sunday and Monday and maybe Tuesday. My plan is to bring in everything I can that is in a pot, then spread pine needles on my hostas and any other low growing plants I can and to cover the hydrangeas with some of the pots I have lying around and hope they don't get blown off. I am hoping that they continue to revise the low temp UP and that is is nothing like last year. I can't believe I am facing this again.

I also bought a wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer so I can tell what the temp REALLY is in my yard. I think I've got it working correctly and hopefully where I've placed the sensor (under the side yard nandina) is dry enough.

I also got a bag of Black Cow while I was out to use when digging in the perennial bed. My mom got me some Clay Buster the other day. I'm worried that the ground might be too muddy to dig in the bed tomorrow as I had planned (figuring the rain would be during the day) but maybe I can work on it in the afternoon.

The mystery tulip has returned! Appeared last year, it must be a survivor of a long ago planting:
mystery tulip

No comments: