Sunday, April 06, 2008

more planting and weeding

I went up to Charlotte this AM, then had lunch with Bobbie, her husband and my mom, so with everything I didn't get out into the yard until around 3 PM. I spent 3 hours weeding on the side yard and I think most of it is about as good as I'm going to get it, so I plan to put down the grass seed later this week.

We finally got over to storage and got most of my pots, so in the evening I potted up with the light that was left.

Today I potted up:

Veggies:
Thai hot pepper
Jalapeno pepper
Purple Beauty bell pepper

Sowed herb seeds:
cilantro in its own pot
Genovese basil around 'Early Girl'

Porch plants:
1 pot with a 'Lady Francis' begonia
1 pot with 'Witch Doctor' coleus, 'Fishnet Stocking' coleus and creeping jenny
1 pot with 2 double impatiens (white and a bright pink) and wire vine

Got everything watered in as it was getting dark.

I am afraid that 'Masja' hydrangea is not going to make it. The area of new growth that had its top damaged by the frost had previously had green leaves below the damaged area. Those leaves are now looking like they are dying. I checked the soil and it seems moist, so lack of water is not the issue. I think it just got hit at exactly the wrong time. I'm going to hope that the existing wood will leaf out, so maybe it is not lost.

No comments: