Sunday, April 20, 2008

finally got to the Lily Lady

We finally made it out to the Lily Lady this afternoon, but when we got there I found out that mom had left the list of the ones we liked at home. She had thought that we could just pick out the ones we liked best in person, forgetting that they are not blooming yet!

We started out with the hostas and I got a 'June' to put by the Generale in place of Great Expectations hostaone of the 'Elegens' and also got 'Great Expectations' which kept catching my eye. From there, it was off to the daylily photo albums to choose some daylilies. We ended up getting 2 'Jagged Edge', a lavender one to go on either end of the 'Mattie Max Maxwells'; 2 'Chicago Knobby' to go along the side of the house and 1 'Pushamataha', which was supposed to be for the side of the house, but I forgot what color it was, then decided to plant it in the perennial bed.

When we got home, I got the 'Jagged Edges' and 'Chicago Knobbys' planted in the front yard and dug up the 'Purple Emperor' sedum that I can't believe is still alive. I tried to get all the peat off the sedum that I could, then had mom run it under some water, then planted it out in the perennial bed, where I hope it will do better. I also planted 'Pushamataha' out in the perennial bed.

June hostaFrom there, it was hosta time. First up, I moved the far right 'Elegens' by the Generale over between 'Coral Bells' and 'Pink Ruffles' azaleas. Then I planted 'June' where it had been. After that, I took 'Great Expectations' and planted it beside 'Fuji Waterfall' hydrangea.

Once all the planting was done I did a few other odd jobs. I removed the chicken wire cage I had built around 'Gentian Dome' hydrangea and ran chicken wire along the rest of the inside of the fence. I put a tomato cage around 'Gentian Dome' so hopefully that will protect it. I also planted the two little yellow begonias that I got, they are on either side of 'Ami Pasquer' hydrangea. I was very surprised to see that my millions bells hanging basket that had overwintered from last year is now blooming. I really need to fertilize it. It is not all that leafed out, so the blooms were a real surprise. It also looks like the hanging basket of verbena from last year has overwintered as well. It is just starting to put out new growth. Not sure where I will end up putting either basket.

I think I may have gotten the tiara hosta mess straightened up and that I now have them correctly identified. My current master plan is to slightly enlarge the bed that 'Ayesha' hydrangea is in and then put all the tiara hostas around 'Ayesha'. I will need to move another 'Elegens' to do this, but I will leave the 'Fire and Ice' hosta where it is, as it seems happy there.

Autumn Belle azalea bloom:
Autumn Belle azalea bloom

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-digital-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Impressora e Multifuncional, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://impressora-multifuncional.blogspot.com. A hug.