Thursday, April 17, 2008

drying out already

We have only had a few warm days and already I am running into problems with plants drying out. Yesterday I planted the purple ranunculus that had been drying out. Today, even after I soaked its rootball, the rootball was dry again even though it was planted. I watered it really well and will moniter it tomorrow. The white double impatiens in one of the porch pots were also suffering from a dry rootball. I'm hoping I have them back on the mend. Additionally, the 'Teller Red' hydrangea was drooping and dry and so was the little pot of lantana. I took the potted plants in for a good soak and will watch them over the next couple of days.

I stopped at Lowes on my lunch hour and got another bag of potting soil. They had soem of the early spring plants marked down so I got a hellebore, a heuchera and a columbine all for 50% off.

I planted up the second roma tomato, moved the one English thyme and the one sage from the herb barrel into their own pots and dug up the little piece of creeping phlox that had propogated itself last fall. I'm going to move the phlox over to the other side of the house where I have the other phlox I think.

No comments: