Thursday, August 30, 2007

2 1/2 inches of rain in 2 days

Today we got about 1 3/4 inches of rain and yesterday we got 3/4 inches, so we are finally getting the long promised rain. I didn't water this morning and will only need to water the porch plants tomorrow afternoon. We also had a lot of wind today and I came home to find the purple feather grass and fern blown over on the porch, and the zinnias and most of the potted shrubs blown over in the back yard.

We went out to Home Depot once it stopped raining and I got the 3 gallon Ayesha hydrangea. I also got an unmarked 3 gallon hydrangea that was thriving and blooming while most around it were trying to die. Based on what I've seen at other Home Depots I think it might be a Penny Mac. I also think there is a chance it is actually blooming on new wood. I got this one with the idea that for now I'll pot it into a big pot and maybe try to make some cuttings off of it. I would like to see if I can get some babies from it to give away, I would like to give one to Bobbie as she has had issues with not getting any hydrangea blooms.

I also got a 1 gallon Mini Penny. In looking at it, a number of the branches seemed to have roots growing out of them. I'm not sure if some of the dirt got washed away or what. Home Depot just got these plants in and they were positively CRAMMED on a table. I cut off 3 little branches and am trying to root them in soil. I originally had them above the stove, but after tonights dinner one was looking quite wilted, so I moved them on to the toaster oven and misted all of them with water. We shall see, if the one is still wilty tomorrow it is going in a glass of water.
Beautyberries turning purple

No comments: