Saturday, September 01, 2007

hydrangea madness!

I'm addicted to hydrangeas. They are just so pretty and they do well in the shade and I've got shade all around the edge of my yard.

I found an Ayesha hydrangea at Home Depot and debated buying it. Finally decided I would. I have now cleared out some more Chinese Privet to make the perfect planting place for Ayesha. I also picked up a friend for her today, hosta Fire and Ice. We are going to have temps in the 80s for the next few weeks, so I'm toying with planting her tomorrow.

Ayesha hydrangea

While looking at Ayesha, I saw blooms way back on this stand the hydrangeas were on. I pushed aside the wilting Ladies in Red and totally mildewed prezoizas and found a hydrangea who had lost its tags. This poor plant was stuck in the middle with no room and yet, it was the only one blooming. I swear that I think this plant might be blooming on new wood. I thought, maybe I'll give this to Bobbie. Maybe I'll buy this and try to propogate it. I just couldn't leave this survivor in such horrible conditions any longer. So of course, I had to buy it too. I believe there is a chance this is Penny Mac. I found a nice fiberglass pot at Target for 50% off and this will be the mystery hydrangea's home for a while, at least until I figure out what I am going to do with it permanently. I figure this will be good for a few years.
new hydrangrea settles in

new hydrangea bloom

I moved variegata into a new position in the shade border and I think it looks fantastic next to the carex! So good it may have won itself a permanent home. I am hoping that the long stem that reaches to the ground may take root over the fall and winter.

Variegata in its new home for now

I am trying to follow the aging process of an Endless Summer bloom:
August 3rd
Endless Summer hydrangea

September 1st
aging Endless Summer bloom

The news about my cuttings is not so cheery. I think one is a total lost cause, the one I put into water after it wilted so badly. The other two are still in pots, but their leaves still look like cooked spinich and one has a leaf that is starting to get brown spots. I have them covered with grocery bags and try to mist them a few times a day, but I don't think they will make it. Don't know what I did wrong, but now I'm afraid to try a cutting on the mystery hydrangea.

I started the morning by weed eating my back yard. I realized the grass was just TOO high. I moved all the pots along the side of the fence and they are still in the middle of the yard as I was too tired to move them back. Tomorrow I need to weedeat the front yard. I also sawed two pretty big dead limbs off the large catalpa tree in the back yard. I finished off the day by digging more bermuda grass out of the edge of the annual garden around the light pole. I bought some compost with cow manure today, so if it is nice tomorrow I might work on expanding that bed over to the beautyberry. I also got some more mulch to finally finish mulching that bed.

There is a bike race that will be going through part of our neighborhood tomorrow afternoon, so I need to find things to keep me busy and going out during that time will be a pain. The high is only supposed to be in the 80s, though all the rain they forcast has disappeared. So, not a bad day to work on digging in the yard. I don't know if I can face tackling the laundry pole again right now.

No comments: