Friday, August 10, 2007

over 100 degrees

It has been over 100 degrees here each day for the past 3 days and they are predicting 104 today. I am watering many of my plants twice daily and my impatiens look about 1/2 dead. On top of that, I am losing another camellia: Debutante started down the same path as the one Tom and is pretty much dead now. I tried watering it daily, but that did not reverse the decline. I really do believe that it might have been frost damage and I have been worried about it for awhile as its leaves did not look like my other camellias' leaves. I will have to check them out in the stores this fall and see how they look. I love what the flowers are supposed to look like, but if they are all like the one that just died, no way. I think I may have just gotten a weak plant, especially since it never even budded up this winter.

Right now I am planning on planting my camellias in October and will buy them in either September or October, whenever Underwoods gets in a big shipment. I am going to check Home Depot and see if they get in any Tom Knudsens. I'd love to find a 3 gallon one there. I have decided that I am going to buy 3 gallon camellias from now on if possible. I need to replace Debutante, then buy two additional camellias to finish out the border for now (I had originally planned to just buy these two camellias until I had two die). I am hoping to catch another sale at Underwoods, if I remember they had one in September last year.

I think our lack of insulation is hurting us this summer. In the late afternoons it is 89 degrees in the house with the AC having run full blast all day. Last night we actually turned on the ceiling fan in the dining room and that seemed to help some.

No comments: