Friday, August 17, 2007

sedum, rosemary, pruning

Came home from work not feeling so hot as it was a terrible allergy day. It is still 93 out. I did just a touch of watering on the front of the house and rearranged the fern to the other side of the front door as the coleus pots are so tall they are now hiding the fern.

I took the gorilla outside and pruned a few dead looking branches and also some that were up against the front of the house off of several of the catalpa trees. I also cut down one small Chinese privet that was growning along the side of the house. When I was cutting that down I noticed that my one sedum was looking very wiltly in parts and that you could still totally see the part that had been in the nursery pot and that it was about bone dry. I decided to water it with water with just a touch of soap in it, as the potting mix it was grown in looked almost totally dried out. I am going to hope that this helps and will also add a little dirt around it tomorrow. I now can think of good uses for the ammended dirt I dumped over by the azalea when I planted the hydrangea... I'm going to try to shovel it back up and add some around the sedem on the side of the house and some around the salvias by the side fence.

Every time I come home I think that I need to cut back just a bit the rosemary in one of the front pots so I can have some rosemary to freeze for the winter and because it is just getting too tall and spindly looking. Today I finally got out there with the scissors. I know I can stil cut rosemary in the winter, but as my one plant was sort of stunted this year due being root bound with the thyme and the other is growing a pot with old potting soil, I thought I might leave them alone this winter.

No comments: