Friday, August 24, 2007

mulched hydrangea, still no rain

We have had an overcast afternoon with thunder and lightening, but so far, NO RAIN. There is a severe thunderstorm warning, but it is totally dry at my house. The temp has also dropped about 15 degrees, down to just the high 70s.

I went out to several nurseries today looking for hydrangeas, but two were closed and the other two don't have what I am looking for. Maybe I will have to go to Athens or Atlanta and see what they have, don't know...

I did get two bags of mulch put around the Fuji Waterfall this afternoon, trying to beat the rain that still has not come. This morning, I moved the bellflower from the shade bed by the fence over into the perennial bed, as I plan to eventually put a hydrangea near the bellflower's old location. I also repotted the other variegated hydrangea into a 3 gallon pot to prepare it for the winter, as I am not sure where I'm going with it yet and may wait until spring or something to plant it.

I removed a big clump of bermuda grass from the other half of the perennial bed (the side I haven't dug in and planted yet). I am planning on dividing my irises next month and some will be going in that bed, so I'm trying to start getting it ready. I plan to totally dig it next month when it is cooler. I think it will be slightly slower going as I am running into all the rocks or maybe even a layer of rock in this section. I will also need a bunch of bags to pick up all the rocks. Strange, but the soil is a beautiful dark color, so that is nice, not red clay!

I bought a little Fatsia japonica at Home Depot today. They had some beautiful 3 gallon ones for I think $30 or more at Underwoods. This little guy cost me $7. I'll repot him into a 3 gallon pot as well and he will probably stay potted for the winter while I try to figure out where is shady enough for him.

Happy Plants in Easley is having a 60-75% off sale tomorrow, it seems that they must be closing. I have to work, so I am going to send my mom. That could be scary... I don't have a clue whether they have anything left buying there anymore or not, but I'll send mom with a list of what she can buy if she sees it and what NOT to buy under any circumstances. Other than that, if she sees something she just has to have at 75% off she can get it and I will figure it out later.

No comments: