Saturday, August 18, 2007

dug up the pieris and much much more

Today was a very busy day and I am now quite worn out.

In addition to some watering and some weeding, I did the following in the garden today:

- harvested the last of the coriander and pulled up the plant, dumped the used potting soil around the salvias
- added some soil around the Encore azalea
- repotted one variegated hydrangea into a 3 gallon pot
- tied the Carolina Jessamine to its stake
- repotted the small pot of garlic chives
- dug up the small pieris and put it in a 3 gallon pot in the shade
- cut down a bunch of brush in the shade border area where I found poison ivy
- attempted to pot up some violets
- planted the Silver Lode hosta under the big catalpa tree
- planted the Diamond Tiara hosta under the big catalpa tree

Endless Summer hydrangea bloomI also visited several nurseries today looking at hydrangeas. I didn't find Masja anywhere, but did find Buttons N Bows at one nursery. All their hydrangeas had some brown spots, they said it was just stress. I ended up buying a Wax Myrtle that claims it does well pretty much anywhere. I saw them when I went to pick up one that had fallen over. Its neighbor looked quite nice so I bought it. Currently the wax myrtle is still in its pot sitting in the hole where the small pieris used to be. I had originally planned to use it along the fence line with Curtis once the shack is torn down. Now I am thinking it might be the plant to fill the hole in the foundation planting (it likes sun). I am planning to take it over there tomorrow and see how it looks.

I think I got somewhat sunburned being outside at the nurseries. It was in the 80s in the morning when I was working in the yard, but this afternoon it was 96.

I'm exhausted and it is time for bed now.
Fuji Waterfall close-up

No comments: