Thursday, August 02, 2007

96 today

Rose of SharonWe got a little bit of rain over the weekend, which was good as I had company and no time to work in the yard. I really need to do something about cutting the grass. We are also having a major heat wave, it was 96 today at 5 PM. YIKES. I had to water some of my inground impatiens two times today. I harvested some basil yesterday and also some more of my Thai hot peppers. Today I harvested some roma tomatos and several of the bush goliath tomatoes. Mom will take one to work tomorrow and tell me how it tastes. Right now I think I will grow them next year, but probably not the Better Bush. I have two better bush that are ripening, but I think my total yield off that plant is going to be 3 tomatos. I am hoping that I will having enough romas to try making a tomato sauce soon. My tumbling tom tomato continues to put out new growth and even has a few flowers, so it looks like I might have a second batch of cherry tomatos. We used the last of the toms tonight in a pasta dish.

After work today I went to Underwoods and picked up my hydrangea, which is actually a Fuji Waterfall, which explains why I couldn't find anything about a "Japanese Veil" hydrangea. Fuji Waterfall still isn't in the book I have at home, but I'm going to do some web searching. The plan is to plant the hydrangea tomorrow morning before it gets too hot. It is so hot in the afternoon that I probably won't be able to do any outside work at all. It doesn't cool off that much in the evening, it is still 88 tonight at 9:40 PM. The mosquitos are TERRIBLE, I can barely set foot outside in the evening without being eaten alive. The backyard spray I bought is supposed to be used when it is below 75, maybe my mom can do that Saturday or Sunday morning.

basil harvestIn herbal news, my English Thyme that I divided the other week seems to be doing well so far. I have not seen that the sage has grown any, but the rosemary is putting out growth. This morning I also noticed sprouts in my cilantro pot, which is good as I think it is time to dump the other pot of cilantro. It has totally flowered, I didn't bother to collect the seeds as coriander and now I think it is dying. Something ate almost all my dill in the herb barrel. The stalks are still standing. I found an impailed catepillar on the dill and think that might be the culprit. Today the catepillar corpse was gone.

I'd like to get back to my window project, maybe I can at least work on the front windows tomorrow where I will be shaded by the porch. I hope the heat lets up some soon, this is miserable.

No comments: