Monday, September 24, 2007

hydrangea cuttings, pesto, camellia issues

Yesterday when I set out the two new camellias I bought I think "hum... this seems a little close...". Today after thinking some more, looking at the picture and doing a little research online I realized that I had planted my camellias WAY too close. With the two that died, I think that will fix the spacing problem to an extent. I do need to move the middle Tom over to where the dead Tom is. And, now I don't quite know where to go with Debutante. I do plan to extend the border clear across the back of the yard, so I guess Deb will be the first part of the expansion. Of course, the nursery bed is currently in the area I plan to extend into, so I guess now I will be starting at the far corner and working in from that side. I want to get someone to take a look at my plan and give me some advice. I'm afraid that the best option will also be moving the right hand Miss Biloxi, but I am concerned about how she will fair if she is moved. I don't want another dead camellia. Then, once the camellias are properly spaced for the long run, I will have HUGE holes in the border. I am toying with looking into dwarf hydrangeas to plant between the camellias. They will bloom at opposite times and as the camellias grow, the hydrangeas should skirt them. Who knows...

Speaking of hydrangeas, I did make a cutting on the Maybe Penny last night and got 4 little cuttings out of it that I tried rooting. I have them in yogurt cups with holes in the bottom, filled with a 50-50 mix of perlite and peat moss. I then have them sealed in ziploc bags. We will see if this works...

I had harvested a TON of basil on Sunday and mom plucked and cleaned most of it for me last night. I ended up making three batches of pesto, one of which I put in the freezer. I put the other two batches in the fridge, but I might break up that container and put part of it in the freezer as well.

No comments: