Monday, September 03, 2007

Mini Penny moves in

zinnia of the day- 9/3/07I got my Mini Penny planted today, on the street side of my side fence, but right along the fence line, so you can't see her from the road. It took quite a while to dig the hole, even though it was only for a gallon pot. I had cut down several catalpa seedlings in the area where I wanted to plant Penny, so I had to dig the remaining trunks and roots out of the ground first.

delphinium bloomsWhile I was on that side of the fence I also planted my creeping phlox. I had left it by the other side of the house so long it actually rooted over there, so I ended up propogating it without even trying. Hopefully the rooted parts over by the side door continue to grow now that the mother plant is gone. I am going to get another creeping phlox at the Fall Festival to plant on the other side of the tree. They were quite pretty when they bloomed last spring and since they are evergreen and native, why not plant more.

I used all the soil I had left over from planting Ayesha to start filling in the hole where the post used to be. Then, I got a bag of top soil and a bag of garden soil and mixed them and added them to the hole. I topped that with the bag of sod starting soil I had purchased, but that still is not enough. I think I need another bag of top soil, garden soil and the sod starting soil to finish filling in the hole. I do have some soil left over from planting Penny, so I can add that to the hole as well. However, due to the mosquito situation, I will not be able to get back to filling in the hole for a while. I won't be able to work in the yard this Wednesday AM like I normally do, but I think I am off on Friday. Actually, if I buy the soil tonight, I might be able to work on this project tomorrow morning before work. That might be a workable solution.

I torn out the impatiens I had planted around the Flying Dragon as they were looking pretty bad. I replaced them with some dianthus I had purchased. The two best looking impatiens I took down to the camellia border, where I used them to replace two dead impatiens down there. The colors don't match, but I will replace the entire thing with pansies soon enough.

All the work this weekend has left me pretty exhausted and I think dehydrated. I have been drinking a TON of ice tea, but whenever I eat a decent sized meal or drink of bunch of tea I get really sick to my stomach. This is not fun. I did not get a good nights sleep last night, so I am hoping tonight will be better.
Autumn Joy sedum

No comments: