Tuesday, October 30, 2007

first frost

We had a light frost last night and this morning. I actually had to scrape the windshield of my car. I had seen the frost warning, so I brought in the smallest hydrangea cuttings, the spider plant, the fern and a coleus and also cut a bunch of basil. When I was out in the yard this AM, everything looked pretty good, I'll have to check it tomorrow.

I was out of town for 3 days this weekend and forgot to remind my mom to water on Sunday. Ami wilted again and so did Mini Penny. Mini Penny looks like she mostly recovered, even though she looked like cooked spinich when I saw her last night, but Ami did suffer some damage to her leaves. Overall, I'm sure she is okay, but not all her leaves have come fully back. I know she is supposed to get some fall color, so we shall see if that is affected at all. Only the beautyberries really seem to be thinking about dropping their leaves, besides the catalpa trees, which are already making a mess. I could still stand to have the grass mowed again too, so I may get our co-worker back out soon.

I really need to change out the porch plants and get rid of some of my other annuals that will be toast soon.

The return of the cooler weather also means that we have our heat back on. I had hoped that we would be able to get the house insulated in early November, but that has now been pushed back at least a month. I've got to get my mom trained to turn the heat down at night again or we will have a $300 gas bill. Already they are saying gas will be more expensive this year. YIKES!!

No comments: