Sunday, October 14, 2007

planting pansies again

Morning glories blooming away on the fence:
Morning glories
Today was once again a watering day. After working hard all day yesterday helping fence at a friend of a friend's house, I was too tired to attempt any major work. I did a bit of cutting back and did dump the cayenne pepper that had stopped producing and had very yellowed leaves.

I pulled the impatiens down by the camellias and reworked the soil in that area. I had seen some pretty blueish pansies at Lowes on Friday and had not purchased them, which I later regretted. I was at the Woodruff Lowes on Saturday night and did not see any there. This morning we went to the Poinsett Lowes and they not only had the blue pansies, but also had 3 gallon Encore azaleas for $10 and had 4 really pretty Autumn Belles. So, of course I got one. I also got several more bags of mulch and a few other pansies to start planting out.

I put some whhite pansies in the pot that has a primrose in it, the primrose is looking healthy and I guess it will bloom again this spring. I also got a pot of pansies that went straight out on the porch. Some butter yellow pansies got planted in one of the pots where bulb foliage is already coming up. I also planted the left over Crown Golden and Delta Fire pansies in the area between the annual bed and the Flying Dragon. I've got to get some more of the Delta Fire pansies and plant those around the Flying Dragon. I've got some dianthus in there now but they are not blooming and I think the frost will get them.

I made some coleus cuttings today on two of the three coleus I am going to try to keep alive over the winter. I need to get to Wal-Mart and get a few self watering pots to plant them in. I pulled all the coleus out of the camellia bed as they were well past their prime. The remaining impatiens and other annuals that are in the ground will probably stay there until the frost comes. I may cut down the dahlias as they aren't looking very good and aren't blooming.

I have been trying to think about what I'm going to do with the yard. I moved the old fencing up near my gate as I thought someone was going to pick it up. But, they might not need it. If they don't, I think I will move it back behind the shack along the side fence where it can't really be seen. The whole area by the pecan tree looks so much more open without those fence rolls sitting there. I was thinking that I would plant the weigela along the side fence between the small beautyberry and the large pieris. But, after finding out they only grow to about 2-3 feet tall, I'm rethinking that plant. I may use it as a front of the border plant between whatever I plant in the center of the space and the small beautyberry. I am also thinking about planting Night Before Christmas hosta between Striptease hosta and Gentian Dome hydrangea.

In hydrangea news... The Generale seems to be recovering from his near death experience and is putting out lots of new growth (just in time to get whacked by the frost, oh well at least he is alive). Today I potted up the tiny bit of Ami that got knocked off, as it seems to have grown one root in water. The Gentian Dome pieces that were knocked off by the dogs have not yet rooted but they are putting out new leaves at the top of the stems, even though all the exisiting leaves have falled off. All the Penny Mac cuttings except the one that was the very top piece have failed. The top piece seems to have rooted and has been living full time outside in a cup for several days now. Both Fuji cuttings are living full time outside. I think I am going to try to overwinter all these cuttings in my crawlspace. I also got some VERY bad news today when I checked on the status of a package of hydrangeas I bought on ebay. Apparently the post office tried to deliver them on Friday, but just left and note not the package and we didn't get a note. So, we didn't go get them yesterday. I'm going to go early tomorrow and see if I can get them and hopefully have time to do something with them before work. Hope they are not dead...

My plan for the week is currently looking like trying to plant Autumn Belle on Wednesday before work. On Friday, I will probably work on planting daffodil bulbs and on Sunday try to plant Debutante, as I will need help getting her out of the pot. I had planned to try to plant the weigela, but as I am once again rethinking her position, she will have to wait.

No comments: