Monday, October 01, 2007

watering issues with Fuji

This morning I went out and checked on all my plants in the back yard and everyone seemed to be doing well. I had two porch plants I wanted my mom to water. When I got home from work today, I noticed that the pennyroyal on the front porch looks awful. I did water it yesterday (I think) and I'm not sure if it is dry or what. I'm going to water it well tomorrow and move it into the back yard in more shade. I am having similar issues in the back with Mint Julip. It looks about dead right now. We have had several days of overnight lows in the low 50s, I don't know if some of these plants are trying to go dormant already? My other mints look bad too, very leggy with almost no leaves. I will have to try to do a better job of cutting them back as they grow next year. They are currently very unattractive and as they have so few leaves, not really useful either.

I checked on the Generale this evening and he is still moist and does not look any worse than yesterday. He did lose a few leaves when I touched some of the branches. I'm guessing some of the leaves are beyond help at this point, but some of the others have pretty much opened back out. I then checked everyone else. Fuji was again droopy despite being watered and mulched yesterday. When I checked, the root ball felt a bit dry even though the surrounding soil was moist. I really tried to get the water in to the root ball tonight, which is a bit hard with all sprawling branches and leaves. I will check on it tomorrow. I just don't know what to do about the watering on this plant. Maybe back to daily watering??

No comments: