Monday, October 08, 2007

planted Daikagura & variegata

Did not get a chance to blog yesterday...

Daikagura variegated camelliaI planted my Daikagura camellia in the morning, with some help from mom to get it out of the pot. I ended up digging a very wide hole, in part because I was over too close to Margaret Davis at first. With all the roots I've encountered in this area, I don't think having a wide hole will be a bad thing at all. Again I had some left over dirt, which I dumped next to the dirt already by the Autumn Amethyst azalea. I think once I plant Debutante and have more left over dirt, I'm going to get an Autumn Belle azalea and really ammend all the left over dirt, then plant in that.

In the afternoon, I decided to finally tackle seeing if I could dig a big enough hole for the variegata hydranga in the area of the shade bed where it had been growing in a pot. I was able to get a hole dug, but there are lots of roots in the area. Hopefully it won't be so much competition that the plant doesn't thrive. I also put down some potting soil and covered the one long branch with dirt, then weighted it down with a little piece of brick and covered the whole thing with a bunch of mulch. I'll check next spring and hopefully it will have rooted.

I used up the last of my second bag of mulch and decided to go out to Lowes for more mulch. I went over to Woodruff Rd to see if they still had any of the really nice Autumn Amethyst azaleas left and the were basically sold out of almost ALL of their Encore Azaleas. I will check back later in the week as I figure they will probably get a new shipment in, since there was obviously a demand! Once there, I realized that I was just too tired to even mess with lugging bags of mulch, so that was it for my yard work yesterday.

Today I got up too late to do anything besides briefly check on a few plants. It may have been as high as the low 90s today so I wanted to make sure that everything was still okay and not getting dried out. Don't want any repeats of the Generale disaster... Still battling with the small Penny Mac cuttings. One has lost all its leaves, the very top piece seems to be doing well and two others had browning leaves so I put them back in bags and they promptly dropped some leaves. ARGHHH... I've left Fuji #2 outside all day yesterday and today. Its leaves look not nearly as thick and shiney as Fuji #1 but they seem okay. I'm hoping that moving outside will persuade its roots to grow and it is still plenty warm out there. I'm waiting to see if Ami will grow and more roots and then will pot her up. The Gentian Dome bits are still hanging out in water to see if they will root. Time will tell. Then I'll just have to panic once it starts to get cold.

Beautiful coleus basket growing away:
Coleus basket- October 2007

No comments: