Wednesday, October 03, 2007

planted butterfly bush, mulched

I had planned to try to plant one camellia today, but woke up feeling horrible and not up to it at all. I watered everything in the front and back, then ended up doing some work in the back yard.

I cut back the petunias again, it is getting close to time to dump them for pansies and violas. I also dumped one of the two yellow bell peppers. It did not have any baby peppers or flowers, its leaves were very pale and starting to curl. Now I have one big plastic pot ready to clean and put away for the winter. I was going to dump the cayenne pepper as it is not looking good and its leaves are pretty much yellow, but I saw a few flowers so I left it for now. I harvested a bunch of jalapeno peppers today. I didn't even realize how many there were until I noticed them while watering. I did not get around to digging out the coleus down by the camellias, but they really need to go.

Harlequin Butterfly BushSince I wasn't going to plant any of the camellias, I decided to try to get a few smaller things in the ground. I planted the Blue Hills salvia near the variegated irises in the second half of the perennial bed. I don't know if I will get that area totally dug in until next spring or what. Then I decided to plant the variegated butterfly bush behind the yew on the full sun side. Although I didn't need a big hole, it was slow going due to all the rocks and also what looks like the remains of a terra cotta step or something. Once I got that all cleared out I was able to get the butterfly bush planted. I then mulched in that whole corner of the bed and tried to clean up the coral bells a little bit.

No comments: