Thursday, March 20, 2008

first day of Spring

Today is the first day of spring. I didn't get much chance to do anything more than take pictures in the yard and they are calling for frost overnight, so the tomatoes are in for the evening. We got a bit over 1/2" of rain earlier this week. The weather report is calling for rain again on Sunday, so that will only leave me with Saturday to work in the yard.

At this point, I'm not even exactly sure what all I need/want to do. I still want to fertilize the hollies and maybe work on digging in the other 1/2 of the perennial bed or digging in the area I want to plant hellebores in the front yard.

I had a TERRIBLE time trying to get a picture of my 'Margaret Davis' camellia today, the camera seemed to want to focus on the ground BEHIND the flower rather than on the actual flower. I did get a few good shots:

Camellia japonica 'Margaret Davis'
Margaret Davis camellia

Wallflower 'Fragrant Sunshine'
wallflower in bloom

Pansy 'Delta Fire'
Delta Fire pansies

Pieris japonica 'Mountain Fire'
Mountain Fire pieris blooms

2 comments:

vicki29566 said...

Happy Spring, Ingrid!
Your flowers look beautiful!
I finally saw what Fatsia looks like, and am thinking of getting one. Home Depot has small ones for abt $6 Do you think this is a good price? Also, I know you mention your fatsia frequently, but can't remember how tempermental it is.
Enjoy your garden!

ingrid said...

$6 is what I paid for my fatsia, but I think it died with our really cold snap we had earlier this year. We are on the outer edge of the hardiness zone here and I think being in a pot was the kiss of death. I'm planning to start over again this year and get it in the ground so it has time to grow over the summer. Supposedly it is pretty easy care and even if it is killed to the ground it will come back from the roots.