Wednesday, March 26, 2008

starting tomatoes and after effects of freeze

The weather was worse than originally thought on Monday night, getting down in the 20s. The only plants I'm really worried about are my hydrangeas, which all have probably lost some leaves and probably flowers on some of them and my weiglea, which may also lose some leaves (don't know about flowers on it). My biggest concern is Masja hydrangea that was just starting to leaf out with some new growth. The top of that new growth is definitely dead now. I don't know if some further down survived or if there is any other new growth that was protected, but I am afraid if the only new growth was killed by the frost that I might lose the whole plant. None of the old wood had shown any signs of leafing out yet, of course that doesn't mean it is dead but still... I am almost SURE I have lost any blooms on Ayesha, I may build a hoop house over it next year. I am also a bit worried about the Generale as he was starting to leaf out but looks like he got hit pretty hard. Hopefully there is enough new growth that was coming up that will pull through. I plan to take a closer look at everything on Friday when they have had a couple days to recover or not.

I did start some tomato seeds today, two pots with 5 seeds each of 'Henderson's Ponderossa' and 'Pink Accordion'. I will try to start the 'Ananas Noir' later this week. I am thinking about trying melons this year, I saw so many great varieties in the Baker Creek catalog... I am particularly obsessed with the 'Tigger' melons and must find some way to grow them, even if the seeds are pretty expensive.

No comments: