Saturday, March 01, 2008

finally got to work in the yard

purple crocusI am still getting over the lastest version of my cold, so I did not have a lot of energy. I went out a did a few errands this AM and that left me wiped out, but when I came home it was really nice out. So, I tossed on my yard clothes and set to work doing some weeding. Weeding while sitting was something I could do and I got the whole front side yard shade bed weeded out. I also got some weeding done a bunch of places in the back yard.

While I was weeding, I got to check up on all my plants. All my day lilies seem to be starting to come up, but I don't see any signs of hostas yet. Almost all of my hydrangeas are trying to break leaf bud with the exception of Buttons and Bows, Masja and Romance. These were all small plants (Masja and Romance were 4" pots) planted last fall. Masja is in the ground, the others in pots. They seemed fine as they went dormant, but they were so young I was worried. We shall see what spring brings. I can replace Masja and Romance through ebay and would probably give Buttons and Bows one more shot if I could find another at Pike for the same price. So far, no signs of life on any of my small hyrangea cuttings from last year, including the two from ebay. It is still early in the season, if they aren't leafed out by May, then I'll worry.

No buds yet on my azaleas, but I guess they look okay. I do have some buds on Margaret and Tom camellias, Miss Biloxis are still looking ill. My hollies are also looking a little yellowish. I need to treat with with epsom salts but will need to wait until I can haul a hose.

I did a little cleaning up of stuff around the yard, took a few things down to the tool shed. I really wish I had a larger garden shed so I could store all my pots and potting soil and not have a mess by the side of the house. Maybe next year... I did finally get the two six packs of pink pansies that I bought back in oh... October or something planted finally. I planted them up in the two pots that had held the cabbages and had enough pansies left over to make a hanging basket. I also dumped out some dead hanging baskets had held petunias that seemed to hang on forever.

I figured out the problem with my 2nd water wand so that is working now. My 3rd water wand is trash, as it got stepped on and broken. My fault for leaving it lying in the middle of the yard. I did get the hose rolled up, but that was about all I could do, I was very tired after that.

I went to Home Depot this afternoon and got an English daisy to replant one of the front porch planters. I had seen some lettuce packs at Country Boys out on Woodruff earlier today, so if I have a lot of energy, I might got buy a window box at Big Lots and some lettuce at Country Boys tomorrow. I did see a few tomatos at Home Depot today. I'm all for pushing the season, especially since I use containers, but this is just too early. Maybe in a few weeks.
forsythia blooms- March 1st

No comments: