Sunday, March 02, 2008

productive day

My house- March 2, 2008I had a really productive day today, probably the first one of 2008! I started off this day by weeding the foundation bed. I dug up the clover that is coming up through the mulch but left it where it is hidden by the hollies for its nitrogen fixing abilities. I also tried to clear away the leaves from the lirope and the edge of the bed, giving it a cleaner and more defined look. I pulled out any dead pieces of lirope as well. I can see new lirope coming up, but as the old foliage doesn't look bad, I think I will not cut it back for right now.

After my morning in the yard, it was off to run some errands and spread a fairly surprising about of money. Does it ever add up fast! I got 5 frames at Target today to frame up the rest of the prints for the living room. I will finally hang my Grunheid prints that I have had for almost 8 years. I also picked up 2 big planters to grow tomatos in, some mats for the picture frames, then swung by Underwoods and got another hellebore for the front yard. Once I got and got everything unloaded, I decided it was time to tackle a job I've been wanting to do for quite some time... getting rid of the gazebo.

Due to rust and everything else, there was no way the gazebo was going to come apart like it went together, but since it was just made out of pot metal, I was able to twist it apart at already damaged areas. The four side parts are essentially intact, it is just the cross supports that were destroyed. I bundled all the netting up into the garbage can and hauled the metal part up where the trash goes. As it is several days before trash day, I figure someone who could use it or recycle it might pick it and if not, hopefully the trash will haul it off on Thursday AM. The back yard looks much better without the wrecked gazebo. If only I could get rid of the shack as easily...

After that I did a bit more weeding. Earlier in the day I had noticed that my large pieris seemed dry, so I watered it and the azaleas and camellias. It actually got up to 70 today and I figured they might like a little extra moisture with the sudden warm weather. I pulled the chick weed away from where the hostas are planted under the big catalpa tree in the side yard. The area around two of the hostas seemed pretty dry, so I hope they are okay. I watered all the hostas under the tree and the two along the side of the house. So far, only Wide Brim, under the tree is sticking its head out.

In the evening, I got three prints framed up and hung on the wall. So far I only have two of the Grunheid prints framed and hung, I will work on the other two tomorrow when I get home from work.

I am happy with all I got done this weekend. Maybe if I am feeling good later this week I can get some touch up painting in the house done. If the weather is good next weekend, I will either work on redoing the bed under the front yard catalpa tree or get back (finally) to painting the windows and trying to get the old duct tape residue off the aluminum window trim (what a mess...).
Grunheid prints- framed at last

No comments: