Wednesday, December 26, 2007

lights finally hung!

Neil came out this morning and we finally got the living room light hung and got the dining room light hung as well. As it turns out, we probably could have hung the dining room light ourselves, but due to the mess in the living room and not knowing what was up there, it was far easier to have Neil do it. He got the dining room light hung first, then tackled the living room light.
dining room light

The living room light was a bit more of a situation, as there was no box in the ceiling, guess the previous fixtures had been screwed directly into the ceiling? So first, a box was put in. Then he ran some new wire over the the fixture up in the attic, which is always fun as it has such a small entrance. After that, it wasn't too much, just getting the lamp wire cut to the right length and getting the chains set at the right length. The fixture was obviously designed to hang in rooms with VERY high ceilings, as each chain was over 5 feet long. Yikes! We used only 1/2 of one chain to hang the whole fixture.
living room light

dishwasher is working wellAll the recent home repairs and improvments have been a tad more costly than I was expecting, so other than total do it yourself projects, I think I will be taking time off from home improvement for a while. Once I have some money saved up again, I need to get Neil back to pull up the toilet so we can finish tiling the bathroom, see about installing a light in the laundry room and do something about finishing out the around the dishwasher. Then of course there is always the shack. Somewhere in here, I'd like to get the attic insulated, something I sometimes think will never get done...

As far as anything soon goes, I'm still pretty sick with my cold/whatever. I went to the Dr today, but the prescriptions she wrote for me were non-generics that were $40 a piece, so I called to see if she could give me something else, but she had left for the day. I took some old meds I found. I'm pretty exhausted from being sick and don't think I'll be tackling anything around the house in the next week or so at least. Thank goodness we got another 1/2" of rain last night, as I'm not up to watering either right now.

1 comment:

vicki29566 said...

Ingrid, I found your blog from the "You Grow Girl" garden site,when you wrote about your plants being stolen, last summer.
I have been following your house & garden escapades ever since.
I am also a first time home owner here in Little River. It seems everything costs twice as much & takes three times longer than expected to get accomplished!
We have a cute little house,approx 30 yrs old- it looks very similar to yours. I love living here & the
that feeling of exhilaration when the "things just come together"
I wish you and your Mom a very Happy & Healthy New Year!