Sunday, December 09, 2007

hut shingled

After getting a start on shingling on Wednesday, we were able to get all but the top row of shingles on the hut roof on Friday. This AM I ran out to get a tube of roofing cement and used it to glue down the top layer of shingles.

I finally watered the yard today. Due to the cool temps a few days of rain, it has been a while since I've actually watered. I remembered once I got started that I had had issues last time I tried, no water came out of the water wand. I thought it might be the bad hose I had on the inner part of the reel, but taking that off did not good. I tried using the wand without the quick connects and that didn't help either. So, my only a few month old water wand no longer works and I have no idea why. Something in the very top seems to be stopping the flow of water, but I can't find any way to take it apart. So, I'll have to return it. I used an old hose nozzle to water the yard and that took quite a while.

I finally got around to running some chicken wire along the inside of my side fence where it is the 4" squares. While that fencing will keep MY dogs in my yard, it will not keep my neighbors chihuahuas OUT of my yard. The little LITERAL ankle biters keep coming into my yard and getting right up to my fence. Of course my dogs want to fence fight with them and I have been worried that one of the little idiots might try to actually come into my yard or that one of my dogs might get their head through the fence and get one of the little pests. The new male Chi is particularly brave, though he has not bitten me yet. I'll have to see what happens the next time I'm working in my foundation beds... At least with the chicken wire up we should have no actual dog on dog violence at my side fence and everyone should be safe and sound.

I went out to Underwoods to price daphnes but after seeing the price, I figured out why I didn't get one last year. At that point, I was at a loss for what to do next. I want to get started on painting the windows again, but several of the windows need to be reglazed.

Once I got home I started trying to chip the old glazing out of the laundry room window and hoped that I wouldn't break the glass or cause it to fall. A lot of the glazing came away easily and some didn't want to come at all. I finally got all that I thought I'd be able to get off today off and then I got the tube of glazing I had purchased last year. I now understand why the glazing on the front windows looks like it does! In theory this glazing in a caulking gun is easy to use, but in practice it was a mess. Still, I guess there is less prep work than with traditional glazing and you can paint it with latex paint. I did get the parts of the window where I had removed glazing re-glazed, but I still need to remove more glazing from the top part of the window, which will require the ladder. This has been a project that I've wanted and needed to do for some time, as I have been afraid that the glass would fall right out of that window. Now I'm not as worried about that. I think I'm going to have to do similar work on the one kitchen window. Unfortunately, it will all be ladder work, as that is the highest window in the house.

When I was cleaning everything up, I managed to knock over one of my pots of coleus. So, it went outside to be repotted and I also repotted the croton that was sent home from my mom's work to see if I could help it. I took several other plants outside to water and they are out there now draining. I just need to remember to bring them inside before I got to bed. I did get some liquid plant food so I can feed my houseplants this winter. I will mix up a batch of it on Wednesday.

The really BAD news is that I noticed the toilet is leaking again. So far, the leak is confined to the little piece of wood we are going to remove when we tile, so that is good. I'm very glad we have not tiled yet but I am a bit concerned about what the problem could be. The sewer pipe leak continues as well. I called Neil today and he said he will know tomorrow if he can get out here this week. I sure hope he can.

No comments: