Saturday, June 02, 2007

rain at last

Right now outside it is raining. Bobbie told me today that we have gone 8 weeks without any rain. Grass everywhere is dead unless you have been heavily watering it. I am hoping all my shrubs will enjoy the rain.

I ran around today trying to get everything done before going to KY. I added dirt to the camellias, azaleas and rhodie. I also cut a wilting branch of the rhodie, afraid it has dieback so hopefully this will help. I sprayed it with neam as well. I also cut a branch off of the Margaret camellia that was wilting as well. No idea what might be wrong with it, but figured since it wasn't healthy anyway, why not just take off that little branch. I've been watering that area really regularly, so I think they are wilting from disease, not lack of water. I also added another back of mulch to the azalea bed. My biggest yard feat of the day was getting some brass quick connects that actually work, unlike the plastic quick connects from Big Lots that were a mess. They will cut down on my time switching over the hose and should make it a lot easier for my mom.

I pulled a dead for I don't know what reason penta out of one of my pots today. No time to replace it before I leave and no idea what was wrong with it. Oh well... It is definately disease time and I think I may have seen aphids today. There was some big nasty bug on one of my basils. My one basil was actually flowering, so I cut it way back. I also cut back one of the basils in with the roma tomato because I needed a few more leaves to make pesto.

The zinnias still look like they might have black spot on the lower leaves, but the upper leaves are looking pretty good. I sprayed them with neam today. I also sprayed Tom again and the wave petunia. I thinkt he fungus on the wave petunia is clearing up, but it now has some additional problem, as it is covered in what look like poppy seeds. I may call the nursery on this one tomorrow. I have a feeling I will be dumping this plant when I get home from KY. It seems to have a variety of issues now.

No comments: