Saturday, June 30, 2007

Cooking with thyme

Yesterday the promised rain never did arrive and the rain today didn't arrive until the evening and then not much. They are still calling for rain tomorrow, but then we are in for another dry spell. I may end up watering the whole yard tomorrow if it does not pick up and rain some more tonight.

Last night I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies with some fresh peppermint added in. I baked up about half the dough and took a dozen in to work today. Most of my co-workers liked them and I sent the extras home with one. The cookies cooked up thin and crispy, not sure why. I prefer a more cake-like cookie. Don't know if it was because the butter was frozen when I beat it or what.

Tonight we finally used some fresh thyme. Almost all the recipes I can find call for dried thyme, but this one, which was a tofu and potato stew (from Vegan with a Vengence), actually called for fresh thyme. The stew itself was quite good and the smell reminded me of Unturkey (whose demise I still mourn...).

No comments: