Friday, June 22, 2007

Mattie blooms, cooking with basil

mattie_62207Today the Mattie Mae Maxwell daylily I bought back in March from the Lily Lady bloomed. I bought 2 plants and ended up splitting them into 5 total plants. Unfortunately, one of the pieces has just recently died, about 2 weeks before the other one bloomed. The Lily Lady is still open, so I am thinking of going tomorrow and seeing if I can buy another Mattie, even though this is definitely not planting time. If I keep up with the watering it should be okay.

When I was out watering this AM, I saw that my inground impatiens back by the camellias and also one plant around the dragon were looking wilted. I gave them a bunch of water and the ones by the camellia had perked up by this evening. The one by the dragon looked better, but not as good as the one by the camellia. Everything will get a good watering tomorrow morning.

I have basil that is trying to flower again, so tonight I cut several plants back quite a ways and used the basil to make Linguine with Sundried Tomato Pesto from the Garden of Vegan cookbook. I had 4 oz of silken tofu left over, so I also made chocolate pudding. I'll have that tomorrow night for dessert and I have enough of the sauce to make 2 more servings.

No comments: