Tuesday, April 10, 2007

surveying the damage, plus daylilies

I left the house super early this morning to get to the plant sale up by work. I got a flat of mixed color impatiens, a really nice wave petunia in a hanging basket and a 4 pack of sage, two of which I am giving to a co-worker. I thought about getting some more rosemaries, they had 4 packs of them as well, but then wasn't sure. I still want to do a sage, rosemary and thyme pot and put a parsley pot next to it. I am maybe going to try to grow some curly leaf parsley from seed, so that part might wait. I will buy the thyme and probably buy the rosemary as well, maybe a bigger plant.

I walked the yard today uncovering hostas and surveying the damage. First off, I seem to have misplaced one of the elegens. If it is doing well, I guess it should be able to push up through an extra layer of pine needles... Maybe I'll locate it this weekend, or maybe I just miscounted or something. I read on one site about frost damage that you should wait a week then prune off the dead parts. I will have a BUNCH of pruning to do next weekend. The big beautyberry seems to have benefited from being a bit behind, as its leaves had not started to open before the frost, so they mostly seem to have survived and are now starting to open. The small beautyberry's leave were open and they all look pretty dead now. The tea olive still does have a decent amount of exisiting leaves, so I'm hoping it will be okay, its new growth is gone though, same with both pieris. I think everything should recover. We are expecting rain all day tomorrow so that should be good for everything.

My co-worker brought me a big bag of daylilies, which I worked on planting along the road edge of the ditch. I got them planted all the way from the driveway to the walkway and about 2/3 of the way from the walkway to the area where they scraped my yard so badly picking up yard waste. Some of the daylilies split into fairly tiny pieces. I did plant 3 of the little pieces along the property line with Curtis. I still have some more little pieces I will try to plant up and I'm going to ask Beverly for a few more big clumps to try to finish out the part along the road. I think these will look great as they fill in. I actually did see orange daylilies listed as an invasive species today. Hum... they sure look a lot better than kudzu and you can dig them out.

We do have fewer plants indoors today. Most of the plants went outside today for some sun. It was still too cold to put them out this AM before I left for work (under 40) so I didn't want to put everything out at 6:30 PM after being inside all day and then leave it out all night, especially with rain coming tomorrow. I am going to take everything out to the porch tomorrow and work on getting as many of the small plants repotted as possible. Then I'll leave everything covered on the porch all day tomorrow and all night and they should be ready to go back into their normal positions on Thursday, when it is supposed to be in the high 70s, low 80s.

I also moved the last of the Chinese latern seedlings to larger pots. Many of them are a bit on the tall and floppy side, as they need more light. I was working on moving them outside part time when the freeze came. Hopefully starting Thursday they will be able to spend part of the day outside and they will be in the window in my house every day.

This weekend I am planning on starting some more seeds, probably in small pots, but I think with the warmer weather, I will leave the pots outside to get the sun and only bring them in at night.

No comments: