Monday, April 02, 2007

lirope planting

I did not go to yoga after work as planned and around 7 PM Bobbie brought over a bunch of lirope she had dug out from along her back fence. We worked on getting the big clump separated into smaller parts for transplanting and then she went home. I managed to get lirope planted clear across the front of my left hand foundation bed. I only went a tiny bit around the corner, as I plan to add another plant between the holly and nandina at some point and that will effect where the edge of the bed should be. I did add one lirope basically under the large holly to sort of turn the corner.

There also is a spot sort of behind the nandina that I had been looking for a ground cover for this weekend. But, as I had some lirope left, it is free and the area may eventually be hidden by another plant, I decided to go ahead and pop in the lirope. I then added a bunch of mulch in that area. By the time I was adding mulch, it was completely dark outside and I basically was working from my porch light. I really need to get a battery operated lantern.

Before Bobbie came over, I decided to plant out the two remaining snapdragon plants I had, which have been in their little for pack for oh, I don't know, maybe 2 months?? I had thought all 4 were dead, but closer inspection showed some new growth on 2, so I planted those two and threw the other two out. Realizing that it had taken me this long to plant the snapdragons got me thinking about the coleus pack I had purchased this weekend. So, BAD IDEA, I decided to go plant it in my shade border in the dark. I got three plants in the ground around stilletto hosta (hope they don't grow too tall and obscue stilletto), then managed to pretty much break the stem of another one, then did away with almost all its roots trying to get it out of the pack. I stuck that one in the ground and propped a lot of pine needles up around it. We'll see, don't think that one has a really good chance though. I finally came to my senses and decided to leave the remaining two in their packs at least until it was light.

I went out and looked at my daylilies this morning and some of their foliage was yellowing a bit, which did not make me happy. The ground around them seemed really dry (this is FULL SUN along the road) so I watered them.

I still have some lirope left, so I tossed it all the box of dirt and covered the roots with dirt. With the bare root plants I keep getting, the box of dirt is really coming in handy.
The only problem is that the box of dirt is in full sun and it is really just too heavy for me to keep moving. I think tomorrow night I will just plant the rest of the lirope somewhere. Maybe along the other side of the house, maybe along the drive, maybe who knows where...

This morning I realized that i still had one bareroot elegens hosta that I had never planted. I got it out of the bag and its roots seemed a little dry but some seemed okay. I never could figure out where in the yard to put it. Now that I have a bunch of terra cotta pots I decided to just stick it in a pot and see if it makes it. If not, I have plenty of elegens (I hope) and if so I can always give it away in its $.88 pot. In additonal potting news, after it was dark this evening, I decided that the tansy and lemon balm were looking crowded in their pot they were sharing, so I moved the lemon balm to its own 10" pot and recentered the tansy it its pot. This also took care of the even number of herb pots problem. Tomorrow I will send my mom to the farmers market for 2 more mints for me and a stevia for Jane.

No comments: