Thursday, April 05, 2007

plants tucked in

The remaining 4 silver scrolls coral bells were planted this evening, and the ones that I planted last night are already looking perkier. When I arrived home, I was very happy to see the Dragon still standing, hope it likes its new home in the shrub border (probably a tad shadier than ideal but I'm not exactly trying for a bumper crop of bitter oranges). Either the trashmen or the recycling took away all the big cardboard boxes, so the yard is looking much improved.

Got all the plants tucked in for the frost. The hostas and coleus that are in the ground were covered with pine needles, as were the daylilies. Everything else was brought inside. I have plants all over my kitchen and laundry room and some in the living room and my bedroom. Some I will put outside each day, others I'll just leave inside for the duration.

I guess I let the herbs go a bit too long without water (I guess it has been so hot the rain the other did did basically nothing). When I came home the oregano was not looking too hot and even the thyme was looking sulky. The pennyroyal looked really bad, and when I watered it, it looked totally pulped. I thought it might very well be a total goner, but now a few hours post watering, it is looking a lot happier, so I think it will make it.

Speaking of goners, I checked the big beautyberry and some of its leaves are even starting to unfold. I will have some pruning to do once everything leafs out, but for now both beautyberries are looking good and I don't think I will have any major dead branches.

I am not looking forward to 4 more nights of having to run around and bring everything in each night. Hope we don't get any freak frosts after our frost free date.


No comments: