Monday, April 16, 2007

impatiens planting, stressed peppers

I started two more little 3" pots of the summerlong basil this AM before work. I was going to use the Jiffy seed starter again, but the pellets I bought are too big to fit in the holes.

Last night it got down to about 37 and was very windy. I brought in all the basil in small pots and the tansy that doesn't seem to like wind. When I went out to the yard this AM, all the peppers, the eggplant and the basil in a mixed pot all looked awful and I thought maybe I'd lost them. But, this evening when I got home from work they had all perked up and were looking good. With the wind chill tonight it is supposed to be around 37 (actual temp is going to be 42), so I think I will bring them all in so they aren't stressed any more and move the big pot to a protected position.

When I pulled into the drive this evening, I could see that my big pot of petunias had been knocked over. I figured it was either the wind or the dogs, but as it was the only pot knocked over, I'm voting for the dogs. The petunias themselves had actually been buried in dirt when the pot fell, so I added more potting soil to the pot and repotted them. They actually don't look that much worse for the wear.

I spent the rest of the evening weeding down in the camellia bed. I had also noticed that my impatiens waiting to be planted were looking dry, so I decided that I really need to get as many of them planted as possible. I planted 6 around the front of the dragon, figuring the dogs would leave them alone and three over in the shade bed by the carex. I had planned to use them to replace the pansies in several of the porch pots, but the pansies are still looking good. So... I think maybe I'll buy two cheap hanging baskets at K-Mart, take off the hanging part and pot the impatiens up in them for inside the gazebo.

While pulling some weeds, I noticed a bunch of strange little plants growing in the relative shade around the laundry post. At first I thought maybe it was mondo grass, but they actually remind me most of the daylilies out front, except in miniature. I tried to weed around them really well. I am thinking they might be some sort of bulb. The dirt in this area is basically black, so I think the area must have been used for some sort of garden at some point. I finished the day by pulling onions out of the ground. The two days of rain had made the ground somewhat soft and I was able to pull a bunch of onions straight out of the ground.

No comments: