Monday, March 05, 2007

Weeding

The plan for this weekend had been to finish weeding all the chickweed out of my shade border area and to actually but in all the ammendments for my perennial bed.

Pulling all the chickweed by hand is quite time consuming, but I did make pretty good progress over the weekend. Unfortunately, on Saturday it was VERY windy which made it cold and hard to work outside, so I only worked in the AM and in the afternoon we went out to look at nurseries. I got a germander plant and two million bells at Garden Treasury, which is a nursery I haven't visited before, but I did like it a lot. I was also looking at and pricing hydrangeas. I want to get a big oak leaf hydrangea to plant in the far back right hand corner of the yard. They had a pink flowered for at Garden Treasury that definately tempted me. Don't know what I'm doing there.

I did cut down a lot of the little weed tree saplings, which has opened up the shade border more. I did discover that I now have a space that looks big enough to put in a hydrangea in the shade border, which would be great. I am considering a Penny Mac, as I saw some that were pretty large but not too expensive.

I also did not work the full day in the yard on Sunday, as it was only in the low 50s and I was pretty much frozen by lunch time. In the afternoon, we went out to do some errands and found a great garden furniture set at Big Lots and they were also have a 20% off sale. The furniture set is two chairs that rock a little bit and swivel and a little coffee table. They also had some little dining tables that were only $35, so we got one of those two as the chairs were the right height and that will allow us to eat outside if we want.

Earlier in the week, we had gone to Garden Ridge and found a great gazebo there for only $150. The main problem is that the box is 10 feet long and will not fit in my car. I finally realized that what I should do is rent a Uhaul van and get the gazebo at Garden Ridge and finally pick up my flying dragon at Underwoods (if they even still have it...). The plan right now is to do that on Friday.

I feel like I am falling behind on all I need to do as I still need to prepare the perennial bed, finish weeding the shade bed and planting hostas, lillies of the valley and bleeding hearts. Plus, I still haven't planted the Margaret Davis camellia (was going to wait until she was done blooming but now I'm worried about giving her enough time to get settled before it gets hot).

Plus, I really still need to paint the trim on the laundry room and finish painting the trim in MY room, plus redoing the crown molding in my mom's room...

And, I am hoping to have enough money and find someone to tear down the shack before it gets hot. I am worried about it harboring mosquitos and Jordan (neighbor kid) said there used to be bees in the shack. I am trying to get in touch with the scrap metal people to get them to take away the old fencing and will see if they are still interested in tearing down the shed and what they will charge. Otherwise, I will have to get a price quote for 1-800 Got Junk, but I think they will be more expensive.

No comments: