Wednesday, March 07, 2007

spending more money on the yard

Yesterday we decided that the only way we would be able to get some of the things we needed for the yard was to rent a U-Haul van to transport them home.

Today was the day to go get our things. We fell in love with the gazebo at Garden Ridge and for what it is, it is a great price. We do think we will use it and after spending the money, we had better use it!!

Yesterday I had spent most of the day agonizing about whether to get the long handled tool shed, the wheelbarrow and the drive gate now or wait until later. I finally decided that I really needed the tool shed and the only way I'd be able to get one home would be to rent a truck or pay for delivery, so there is no need to do that twice. I also decided to get the wheel barrow while I had the van and it would be easy to transport it, rather than wrestling it into my car (or not being able to) later on. I did decide to get the smaller 4 gallon wheelbarrow, with the idea that it would be easier to use. I did finally decide to hold off on getting the gate for now because I think I might be able to get it into my car and if not I can always rent a truck at Home Depot or maybe even get Bobbie to help me with her van.

We also swung by Underwoods and finally claimed our Flying Dragon, which is actually now taller than I remembered. I still don't know where I'm going to put it, but as it has survived this long in the pot I figure it can make it a few more weeks. I also ended up buying 2 Yews that will go at the back corners of my house flanking the perennial bed. So, now I have 4 shrubs to plant...

Luckily when we got home George was in his driveway and came over to help me move the big boxes the gazebo and shed were in over into my yard. We were able to get the boxes over the fence without damaging it by placing the boxes on the garbage can. The gazebo is still in its box and leaning up against the side of the house in the back yard. I loaded the shed in its box onto the wheelbarrow and wheeled it down behind the shack, which is where it will live for now. Mom and I were able to get the shed assembled (it just snapped togehter) and it is now ready for the tools as soon as I get them down there (maybe even after work tonight).

We are expecting rain this weekend, so the gazebo will stay in the box for now and the furniture will stay in storage. I am pretty much done spending money on the yard now (I hope) other than 3 remaining big ticket items: 1) fence gate, 2) lawn mower and 3) having the shack torn down.

I also noticed as we were leaving this morning that someone has taken away some of the old wire fencing that has been in my front yard. Now if only they will come back and get the rest and take away that drum as well, I'd be estatic. I also now have 3 crocuses that are up, 2 yellow and one purple. I will try to get pictures this weekend.

No comments: