Sunday, December 17, 2006

weeding and mulching

Today I wanted to finish up the last of mulching the shrubs. I started out by doing some weeding in the little area around the light pole that I am planning on using to try out some annuals come spring. I don't think I'm going to do the full on digging ammendments into the soil in this area at least for the coming year, but I did pull out as much as I could of the little weed that grows everywhere and put down some pine needles.

Then I moved on the the much bigger task of weeding the remaining 3 camellias, which were pretty much overgrown with the weed. I did get most of it pulled up and then added 3 bags of pine chip mulch, which covers the planting holes of the camellias and a little around them. I also weeded the camellias I had previously mulched but was lazy and did not weed. That area was a bit of a mess and I was able to get up some of the weeds.

I also dug out the large amount of honeysuckle that was back behind the shack. One of my co-workers said she wanted it, so I potted it up for her. I figure it is so invasive that it should root just fine in her yard and she said she wants it for a totally barren area and doesn't care if it spreads all over there. I do still have a bunch of honeysuckle roots in my ground. It was quite a lot of work to get it out of the ground and all the roots still attached are pretty short, but I think it will be okay. Digging the rest of the roots out of the ground will be an even bigger chore and one that I think I will save until I have the shack torn down and know what I am going to do in that area.

I finished up by weeding some more by the front door, this time in front of the drip line. I realized that there is no reason I can't plant on both sides of the drip line and that will enable to bed to really wrap around the corner of the hous.e

All the yard work left me pretty tired. I did buy some more ornaments for the tree at Big Lots, but I may leave those for my mom to hang tomorrow.

No comments: