Sunday, November 19, 2006

Garden is ready for winter

The forcast for tomorrow is calling for SNOW! So, I got an early start on the yard, out bagging leaves at 9 AM. Ansell did come a few minutes after 9 and we were able to get all the rest of the leaves bagged up and even get the plastic sheeting that had been over by the water heater dragged up to the trash area as well. I've currently got a bumper crop of plastic bags in my yard!

After Ansell left, I went to Home Depot to try to do something about the containers and my bulbs. I got 5 more plastic pots (shouldn't crack in the cold), 1 rosemary, 1 kale, 2 6-packs of pansys and a little periwinkle. I also got another ajuga for under the tree. I bought 3 more bags up bulbs as well: hyacinth, iris and scilla. I potted up the containers with the bulbs about 4 inches down and the bedding plants on top. The white container has the almost black tulips underneath, then has rosemary, kale and 2 pansys on top. The one smaller pot by it has the pink tulips in it and the other has some some paperwhites. Both have pansys on top. The three pots on the porch are all the terra cotta color. The one big one with the cabbage in it does not have any bulbs, the other big one has pink hyacinths and the smaller one has some more paperwhites (I think!)

Then I planted out the rest of the bulbs. I planted the rest of the paperwhites under flowering pear (which is currently making me happy by having some fall color). The irises were planted right up by the drainage ditch on either side of the walkway into the house. I planted the scilla over by the side door where the flag irises (or whatever) are starting to come up. I'd pulled some roots out of this area earlier so the dirt was nice and loose and it was easy to just slip the bulbs right into the ground. I also planted some hyacinth bulbs I had purchased a while ago. These bulbs looked pretty worse for the wear. I planted them along the fenceline with Norman, right near my side fence. If any of them do bloom, the should come up roughly behind where I planted the puschkinias a few day ago. I'm not sure I got all the bulbs deep enough and the one set of hyacinth bulbs really looked pretty bad, so we will see if I get ANY blooms from ANY bulbs! The ones I bought at Home Depot today were 50% off and to me anyhow the bulbs all seemed in good shape. Only time will tell.


When we were raking the leaves, I had warned Ansell not to try to get the leaves right up against the shack as there has been poison ivy there earlier in the year (it died back before I could work up the courage to try to get rid of it...oops...). As that area is kind of scrubby anyway, I just decided to leave the leaf litter there as mulch for a natural foresty look (sounds good huh). I also happen to have a bricks and pieces of brick scattered around my yard. I picked up a bunch of these while we were raking (and there were also some stacked along one side of the shack). Don't know what these bricks were from, but some have morter on them so they were obviously part of some structure. I dedided to take these bricks and make little edge on the side of my "naturalistic garden" to give it a better look and make it look more like that was what I wanted. I got a decent amout of the border finished with just bricks collected from the yard (dug two out of the ground) and finished it off with some of the bricks stacked behind the shack. I thought the results were pretty nice looking.

After finishing off the brick border, I went back to a project I started on closing day... digging the brick patio by the side door out from under a bunch of weeds. I finally got the whole brick area exposed and then finish off by using my new crab grass puller to get rid of as much of the crab grass as I could in the area. There is A LOT of crab grass in my yard unfortunately. I think I am essentially done in the yard for the winter. My only other project I would really like to do is to get one of those oak barrel planters to put over the other place that used to have a clothesline holder (I tried digging this one out of the ground too but no luck!). I guess for winter I could plant it with pansys and kale or something. That project will have to wait at least for a paycheck or so though.

Now that I basically have the yard done, my goal for my three day Thanksgiving vacation is to get as much of the painting we have left finished as is possible.

No comments: