Monday, October 16, 2006

Still painting

Have not updated the blog in several days. We have been busy still painting at the house.

Thursday we planted the 2nd smaller beautyberry as it was starting to look somewhat wilty. I was not able to plant it opposite the side door as that area is nothing but rocks, so I moved it down closer to the first beautyberry and it was much easier to dig in that area, though I ran into some large roots. I did not manage to dig the hole quite deep enough for the whole plant, but at that point it was cut out of its tub (no easy feat) and set in the hole and I was exhausted, so I just piled up some additional soil around the root ball part of the plant and actually got a decent moat built around it.

Friday I spent all day at the house. I started by touching up the woodwork in the living room, then primed all the woodwork in the dining room.


Living room all painted except the crown moulding.

Saturday after work I started painting the dining room woodwork and got one window and one wall painted.

The dining room looking into the kitchen, with the woodwork partially painted.

Sunday, I spent 9 hours at the house and got all the woodwork in the dining room painted. I also sanded down the walls in my bedroom and caulked around both windows and a large crack between the closet door and the wall.

Today my goal was to sand down the last wall in my room and prime my entire room. I was able to get all that done and finish up the laundry that I had started on Sunday. Being so far away from the laundry room makes it easy to forget I've got laundry in there...

The house was not nearly as cold today as it has been other days. We had left the thermostat set at 65, which seems to help some. I DEFINATELY need to insulate the attic and try to stop as many drafts as possible. I am probably going to caulk under the living and dining room windows, even though that will require a little paint touch up, I think it will be worth it to remove more drafts.

I noticed on Sunday when I was painting the baseboards that there is a definate draft coming in under the baseboard, probably coming up from the crawlspace. I also really need to get the crawl space insulated, but I think that will have to wait for a while as the one quote I've gotten was $650, and I don't think I'm up to crawling around down there on my own with the pink fiberglass stuff. I am going to try to shove some weatherstripping under the edges of the baseboards where the carpet is loose and see if that helps.

I also need to weatherstrip my one closet door that leads to the attic entrance, as a lot of cold air is coming in through that closet. I am hoping once I actually have stuff in the closet that it will help cut down on some of the drafts.

Tomorrow's goal is to paint my bedroom. Mom is off the whole day and will try to work on painting the laundry room woodwork and priming the bathroom. If she can get the bathroom primed, I may be able to get it painted on Wednesday AM before work.


No comments: