Monday, October 30, 2006

Moved in

Mari in the dining room with boxes.

We finally moved in last Thursday when 2 Men and a Truck delivered our big furniture. In the final rush to finish all the painting, there just hasn't been time to update the blog, and I have been living in the house with only dial-up for a week now.

We only got mom's room painted the day before the furniture arrived and the trim wasn't painted until after the furniture was delivered. I painted the crown moulding over the bed by standing on the bed!

The dogs are enjoying their backyard, but I do want to get it fenced all the way as soon as possible.

We are finding the house a tad cold and I'm worried about the gas bill so I've been trying to keep the furnace turned on for the shortest amount of time possible. We also worked at weatherstripping around the windows. I have a quote to insulate the attic and hopefully that can get done after my next payday.

The house was looking REALLY good until we got the rest of the stuff from the apartment in here, now it is a real mess with bags everywhere. Hopefully tomorrow we will get the kitchen cabinets lined and get things put away in them and it will start to look better.

I was supposed to be off all day tomorrow, but due to a death in a co-workers' family, I have to go in and work in the evening. Also, the maid service we hired to clean the apartment did not do as good a job as we had hoped, so I'm going to have to go back over to the apartment tomorrow and clean around the stove some more, which is what I had hoped to avoid by hiring the maid service. Then, we turn in our keys and are done with the apartment.

Tomorrow is Halloween and many of the houses in the neighborhood are decorated, but we never got around to buying anything in the way of decorations. Also, talking to George across the street, he said that we will get a lot of trick or treaters, so I don't think our 3 little bags of candy will be enough. We have to buy more candy tomorrow, then mom will be left with the dogs to answer the door while I am at work.

The house looks great in the areas where we have things unpacked and don't have boxes stacked to the ceiling. We did run into some trouble when we tried to hang the blinds. The window casing is real HARD wood, and we could not get the screws in, even with an electric screwdriver. So, I am going to have the husband of a lady I know from work come out and hange the blinds for me (and probably help install some wire shelving, and install the kitchen and bathroom faucets). James never came back to finish the work on the outlets in the kitchen, so the money I had set aside for him will go to Derek to work on the blinds and maybe even do something about fixing the wall where the water heater had been.

I am very happy to have my DSL back as I feel reconnected to the world. I could use a break from the house though! We have the cosmetic paint job mostly finished (still need to do trim in the laundry room and paint the bathroom and kitchen walls) and then it will be on the the not so fun stuff. Still do want to replace some doorknobs though...

No comments: