Saturday, October 07, 2006

Planting, painting

Have not posted in a few days. Some painting took place during the week, including the dining room and living room ceilings and the living room walls, all done by mom.


Today I started off by talking to James, who again said he would come over and finish the work at the house. I heard him sawing over a George's house for a number of hours, then when I looked out the window one time, his car was gone. And, the work is still not finished at my house. Currently I have no hot water and no climate control.

Did get a call on my cell phone yesterday from Dipple Plumbing. I am not sure what it is about, but it was from the manager. I'm guessing that they are the ones who did the pipe replacing under the house, so I am HOPING that maybe they will come out and replace the washer pipes next week so I can finally use my new washing machine.

I am totally overwhelmed on the plant front and really think we overbought. I definately still need to get the plants from Underwoods. Yesterday I called JFS to have them deliver my two beautyberries, rose of Sharon and 3 hostas. The BIG beautyberry that I tried to talk my mom out of arrived with a HUGE root growing out the side of the pot that had been cut. By this AM, it was looking pretty wilty and dying. So, even though they haven't been out to mark the water and gas lines, I decided that we had to plant it or it would not survive. Spent most of the morning trying to dig a hole deep enough to plant in. Then, I ended up throwing dirt all over the place so I didn't have quite enough dirt left to fill in the hole, even though I was ammending what I had with mushroom compost and Miracle Grow potting soil, so sent my mom out for some garden soil to cover the top (not quite how the books tell you to do it). Also ran out of mulch, so it is not mulched quite all the way around. Did try to give it a soaking water part way through planting, then soaked it again once we had all the dirt in. And, this evening it is raining, so I'm REALLY hoping that it will perk back up and live, as my mom loves it.

The large beautyberry in its new home toward the back of my yard.


The smaller beautyberry, Rose of Sharon and the hostas are all still in their pots and all seem to be doing well. I'll wait until after the lines are marked before planting any of them as none of them seem critical. I seem to have horrible red clay everywhere except right by the side door. That obviously is an area that has been cultivated in the past, but due to the irises coming up, I can't dig there right now.


I can't decide where to put the hostas, so they stay in pots for the time being. Did find some cheap pansys and dusty miller at Home Depot, just should go ahead and buy a fiberglass pot and try to make a container. And, with everything else, I still didn't get around to adding soil to the mums that aren't looking so hot. Plus, as we were leaving today, I realized that I had left my rake and shovel outside, now out in the rain, and had to stop and rush them indoors.


On the inside today, I continued to strip wallpaper in my bedroom and finished off taping off all the walls to prepare to paint the woodwork in the living room. I had started taping last night and got it finished up this AM. My original plan had been to try to get all the woodwork in there primed today, but with the beautyberry taking up most of the morning, that didn't happen. Did most all 3 door frames and baseboards on 1 1/2 walls primed up.


Finished up today by helping mom finish painting the dining room, which is looking good too I think. Bobbie came by briefly, and was more positive than she has been in the past, though she hates the living and dining room color and doesn't get the dark brown woodwork. She did like the laundry room color.

No comments: