Thursday, May 24, 2007

trying to keep up with the watering


verbena_52107
Originally uploaded by iechris.

After the mishap with the hanging baskets last week, I have been doing well keeping up with the watering so far. Operation Grow Grass appears to finally being seeing some success as well, as I have seen grass sprouts over in that area. I will keep up the 20 min every AM watering schedule for at least a few more weeks. The weather has been very dry and in the mid 80s and some of my existing grass isn't looking so hot. I watered some of it in the back yard for about 20 minutes this AM and I guess I will have to start watering some of it off and on as well. I have a few other areas where I have spread some grass seed but haven't seen any success yet. These areas get watered by the hose when I am watering my plants, so they don't get as much water. I am planning on covering them with some straw and see if that helps.

Last night I discovered some flowers on my one coleus, so I cut back the offending sections. I also took a cutting to try to root, just in case the plant decides to give up the ghost.

I am working at rooting some mints to take with me when I go to KY for my friend Carol. Several of my mint plants seem to not have any areas left where there are leave with two additional little leaves, so I am not sure about cutting them anymore or what to do. I'm going to stop by the farmer's market on the way home from work and I will ask them.

I think I might have powdery mildew on my tom tomato and maybe some sort of mold on my one wave petunia. I am going to make up a baking soda spray and try to treat them. May try the cinnamon thing as well.

Planted today:

- purple coneflowers from Susie

-lambs ears from Susie

- Autumn Joy sedum

- 2nd mallow

- bellflower from Ingles

No comments: