Monday, May 28, 2007

getting hotter

It is 74 degrees at only 10:45 today and already the sun feels hot. The ground is hard and dry from the lack of rain and the grass is brown. It seems like mid-summer is here early this year. We are supposed to get rain next Friday and off and on through next weekend. Lets hope.

I am keeping up my watering schedule and the plants seem to be doing well. I managed to scratch 4 Chorus Line Daylilies into the earth today where I had planted lirope a few days ago. I bought them in one big pot, then unpotted them, washed all the soil off and separated the big clump into 4 plants. If it takes, it won't be bad, 4 pink repeat blooming daylilies for $5.

The big bell pepper is still hanging on as are some of the little bells on the other plant. I noticed today that the eggplant has several big purple flowers. We'll see if it sets fruit. Tom tomato still doesn't look that great in a few places. There is one little branch I think is a goner, so I'm going to prune it off. The Roma tomato is growing, as are its basil friends. I will cut them back next weekend and make pesto. The little rooted basils that weren't doing well outside yesterday seem to have perked up inside overnight. I will keep them in the windowsill for a few more days and see how they do, then work on moving them outside gradually if I need to. Guess I'm used to the mint: root it in water, pot it up, shove it outside.

Bobbie is bringing her string trimmer in a bit so I can work on the front yard. Right now I am off to clip some grass.

No comments: