Saturday, May 19, 2007

new hydrangea


Wednesday morning was spent dealing with a bunch of disasters. Major disaster struck my hanging baskets at the front of the house when I realized that I hadn't watered them since Sunday. They look half dead, but seem to have revived since being watered regularly and kept out of direct sun for a day. The lantana and verbena are both out of bloom right now though. I also discovered that the double impatiens inside the gazebo were looking horrid from lack of water, but they too seem to have revived.

Then I looked at my sweet basil and realized that it was trying to bolt, so I chopped off the tops and it is pesto time. Hopefully the basils will continue to survive and make more leaves so I can make more pesto later.

I have now lost one whole pot of basil seedlings. I am not sure what killed them, but I am hoping that some of the other small pots will survive and that I will get some viable seedlings in the oak barrel. I have something up in all part of the oak barrel except the borage. I did see borage at the farmer's market, so if worst comes to worst I can also drop in a transplant. The chives also aren't really coming up. And, I'm seeing lots of little flies around it, I am wondering if they are white flies and might be part of what killed my basil.

I also have lost one of the coleus that I planted along the side of the house. I think Flo may have laid down on it or something.

Friday was cooler than it had been and I was off all day so I had a productive day. Thursday night I succumbed to temptation and bought a new Endless Summer hydrangea, which I got planted in the shade border in the space I had reserved for it. I also got the little dead nettle I had rooted up planted nearby. I also found some impatiens in the right color to finish up the little impatien border back by the camellias, I planted them in the leftover dirt from the hydrangea hole. I had a few extra impatiens, so I added those to various places in the shade border.

I then finished up weeding out the camellia bed and added 4 bags of pine mulch. I got this mulch at Lowes, which is where I got the other bags of pine mulch, but these stuff didn't look the same, it was reddish, and I don't like it as well. I need to add some more mulch to this area, but I think I will try Home Depot or Wal-Mart and see if I like what they have better. I also added a bag of cyprus mulch to the front bed with the ajuga. Hopefully the ajuga die-back I had going on earlier has resolved itself and those two plants will start spreading soon. The other 3 are looking great.

I have decided that I need a few more basil plants and I also think I will try a roma tomato and a red bell pepper. I'm going to stop for these on the way home from work tonight. I will be out of town most of the day tomorrow, so I am probably done for the weekend.

I have been continuing to water the grass seed, don't see any grass sprouting so far. I need to check the bag for how long it is going to take. I want to get some more grass seed and some wheat straw as there is an area that is getting watered every day that I didn't seed, and it is getting VERY muddy now, so I need to fix that situation. I also have the potted plant watering, front and back, down to a science now I think and it takes about 20 minutes total. So far, I am able to get it down before work easily as long as I keep moving in the AM.

No comments: