Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Achoo


It was at least 89 today and the air quality is terrible. I have been battling horrid allergies for the past week or more and haven't done much in the yard as a result. I have a new prescription for allergy meds that seem to be helping.

Recently I have replaced the pastel pansies in the green pot with peach million bells, taken the two dusty millers out of the pot with the English daisies (I replanted one in a new pot with a variagated verbena and a mystery plant that sort of looks like bacopa and planted the other in the ground by the snapdragons) and added the one foliage plant I got to the pot. My other pot with English daisies had gotten really dried out, so I tried to really hydrate it and I'm hoping it will bounce back.

The pansies are still pretty much hanging in there, though the tiger eye pansies in the yard looked flat the other day. I have decided that the striped petunias will replace them when it is time. The big news is that the bulb foliage is finally starting to look really yellow. I am hoping that this weekend I will maybe be able to mow it down around the tree. I also moved the two pots with the dying paperwhite foliage over by the gate where they will get full sun (I'm hoping this will speed the demise of the foliage). As soon as all the foliage is gone, I will pull out the pansies and replant all those pots.

I looked at Tom tomato today and was surprised to see at least 8 baby tomatoes! Wow, I would think it is too early. I have also seen buds on some of the hot peppers, so I might be seeing baby hot peppers soon too. I hope I get a decent harvest of hot peppers. I haversted some more herbs for my mom's one co-worker this weekend and she was really happy. The basils look like they might be ready for a mini harvest and I still want to get another sweet basil to replace the purple basil I had to pull. The herb barrel so far has some sprouts of the two basils, but nothing else so far. I did finally get the nasturtiums planted the other day. I also sprinkled some marigold seeds by the herb garden and around the area where the clematis is, which is either coming up or I have a weed in that area, I will wait and see. The potted zinnia seeds continue to get bigger now that they are no longer getting dumped over by Flo. The snapdragons are also blooming and the licorice plant is putting out new growth and starting to look better. I may move it to another pot.

Pink Ruffles azalea didn't look so good today. It had some yellow leaves and seemed very dry. I watered both azaleas and the rhododendron. We are supposed to have 4 days of off and on rain, so hopefully they wil recover. I am going to get some more mulch and add some soil to their hills, then mulch heavily for the summer.

No comments: