Monday, January 01, 2007

planting not painting

My plan for the day had been to buy more painter's tape, finish taping the laundry room and get the trim painted. The weather report had been calling for rain, just like yesterday so I figured it would be a good day to stay inside. We did have some drizzles this AM, but even by 11 AM the sun was out and it was starting to warm up.

The day ended up being really mild and sunny, so we decided that it would be best to let the dogs enjoy the yard for the afternoon, which meant that I would be in the yard all afternoon as well. The cabbage in a pot on the front porch has been looking less and less excited about life, so I decided that today was the day to transplant it into the back yard and put something else in its pot on the porch. I had some mushroom compost and garden soil left, so I decided to really dig a patch of ground by the telephone pole that I am planning to use as an annual garden this spring and summer. I ended up digging about a 3' square area and then tossed some leftover ammended dirt on top of about another 2' square area. I planted the cabbage and also some pansies my mom bought. The cabbage pot now has pansies in it as well and is back on the front porch. I had a big surprise when I was watering my porch plants today... some of the paperwhite bulbs that have had foliage coming up for a while now have buds on them. I guess my paperwhites will either get nailed by a frost or bloom really early this year due to the mild weather.

Back to work for 4 days, so the only chance I'll have to really get another done around the house is Wednesday morning. Since the laundry room does not have a light, it is too dark to work in there when it is dark outside. I'm off the coming weekend, so if I don't get the laundry room done before then, I should be able to get it done then.

No comments: